Tuesday, January 6, 2009

It must be the bread...

I could only pick one title. Other thoughts included, "A train a train, could you would you on a train?", "The incredible edible", "Sunny side up", "Chicken or the Egg", etc...

To the left is our first egg. She's on the small side, but that's ok. We've had our chickens for several months now. A friend got them past the baby stage for us. We got them at 5 weeks. I get to go out every morning to feed and water them. When it's really cold, I get to de-ice the water before changing it out. I've been feeding the pup we got around the same time.

My father-in-law started getting eggs last week. Joi suggested we might not be getting any because Lassie (the pup) is terrorizing our chickens. That may be true. Joi mentioned that her dad was giving his chickens day old bread and talking to them.

Since that time, I have been out talking to my chickens. I'd say things like, "If you don't give me some eggs soon, then I'll get me some legs soon". You know coersing them into laying.

Last night we had some rolls. Joi wanted me to give them to the chickens. It was raining horribly, and cold. The chickens were running around in mud puddles. I moved the tractor to a spot that looked better. Once I got it there and looked in, there were more mud puddles. I moved them to a grassy spot under the tree and there was less mud there. Joi reminded me with a knock on the window that we had bread to give them. I retrieved the bread. It had a tin which I was glad to see, because the chickens haven't been eating out of their tray lately. I was able to put the scratch feed in the tin rather than on the wet ground.

So when I went to check on our chickens this evening, to my surprise I found this very special blessing. We took several pictures. Most were blurry. I was getting ready to put it in the refrigerator and wanted to mark it so it wouldn't be confused with the eggs we get from friends. I picked out the crayon, and was just going to put a dot on it. I got inspired.

In the end, we figured it must be the bread... I am sure it will be eggcellent.

2 comments:

Joi said...

I'm so proud of you for doing all of your hard work, especially in the cold and rain. It has finally paid off!!

I'm glad you were the one to discover the egg first.

Well, maybe we will be successful backyard chicken farmers!!

I love you.

Shane Bradley said...

You are so sweet my dear. Thank you for being my only reader. I think we are already more successful at growing chicken eggs than at growing shaded vegetables.