Saturday, July 18, 2009

Missional

How do you like this weather? It sure is hot/cold out there. Why are we here when it's so nice out there?

My pastor has introduced me to the term missional outreach. I've traditionally called it discipleship. I don't really know which term I like better, but I try to engage those around me.

I am shy when unfamiliar with my surroundings, but very expressive when I am comfortable and in my little world. I think that is because I am a control freak, and when not in control I tend to try to figure out how to be instead of just doing it. That being said, I have discovered my favorite way to get to know someone I know nothing about.

In out modern society, most folks don't tend to talk to each other. We tend to be overly focused on our task at hand, and can not deviate from that task. We close ourselves off so that if someone unfamiliar to us speaks to us we will smile/giggle, give a short response and walk off wondering why they spoke to me.

The trouble I have had for years is that one person is into sports, another is into reading, while someone else is in to cars. It's hard to tell in most cases, what someone is passionate about. Everyone however is affected by the weather. I've found that if you say something about the weather, that everyone has a story they are just waiting to tell. They will still hide it, but they really want to tell it.

Man it was a scorcher yesterday.

It sure was, we had to go to a birthday party that was outside. (This is the response that shuts most down, but I find it best to ask questions about their response)

Who's birthday was it?

It was my nieces birthday. She turned...


With every statement made, I will figure out a connection. I'll ask more questions, and tell related stories. This shows whoever it is that we have similarities. I usually walk away knowing that I have had an impact on someone. I have given someone the attention that they rarely get.

My wife is an example of this as well. How many know the name of the postman? Our's gets Christmas presents, and conversation anytime we receive a package. We aren't best friends, but we share the joy of Christ every chance we get.


May the Lord give you a conversation this week.

No comments: