Sunday, March 1, 2009

Only in Memphis

Yep, last night is snowed the 2nd (but maybe 1st) biggest snow I have seen in my lifetime living in the Memphis area. After Tuesday, the temperature is supposed to be in the 70's and dip to the 60's by the end of the week. Where else can you get eight inches of snow and have 70's in the same week... I mean besides Colorado Springs... They cheat... they are in the desert and scrunched up against the Rocky Mountains.

The snow just came from nowhere. It had snowed about three to four inches when I put the kids to bed last night. Looking into the light, you could see the snow coming down, but not very much. I assumed it had played out. I was surfing the internet and got an email from our Pastor letting everyone know that church was canceled. I was very disappointed, as I didn't think it was that bad. Fifteen minutes later, a branch from my neighbors tree fell on my back porch. I went outside to evaluate the situation, when I discovered that it had not played out. In fact, it had snowed another fiver or so inches. We had played in a parking lot that night, but the snow was just wet and slushy. This morning we went back, and the snow was dry and powdery. It didn't matter much. We managed to sled down a good hill several times (I actually participated more than the kids did, and I am sore from it). The kids just wanted to tromp around in the field. Nehemiah just wanted to lay in the snow and rollover.

On the backside of a hill, there was a drift pile. It was well above my knee. That was a lot of fun for me as well as the kids. Nehemiah couldn't get into it. Andie said she felt like she was sitting down it was so high. It was a lot of fun. I am glad we made the little excursion. It was a memory that will last a lifetime I am sure. I think Joi has some pictures. I will post them if they are any good.

No comments: